The Department was founded in 1946 as part of the department "Radio Frequency and Low Voltage Technology". The founder of the department was prof. eng. Grigor Uzunov.

In addition to teaching at the Faculty of Telecommunications, traditionally the academic staff leads classes in the other departments of the Technical University - Sofia: Faculty of Electronic Engineering and Technologies, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Management, Faculty of Transport, Faculty of German Engineering Education and Industrial Management.

As leading specialists in the field of telecommunications, the academic staff of the department is valued in other universities in Bulgaria.

Besides educating students, the Department has organized and conducted over the years extra curricula for specialists, postgraduate courses and knowledge refreshment for engineers in the industry, the institutes and the departments of the Ministry of Communications, the Bulgarian Telecommunications Company, the Ministry of Energy, the Ministry of Defense and Ministry of Interior. Some courses are conducted entirely in English. The interest in postgraduate education has increased significantly in recent years.